The unintended pun in everyday life.

Friday, March 23, 2012

The Pun as Truth--New Category or New Factor?

Before I reviewed some of my previous posts, I thought we would be discussing a new category of pun today--The Pun as Truth. That is, a phrase that not only states something that is true, but also in the context is a lovely pun. But as I looked through previous posts, I noticed that a better way to caracterize this kind of pun would be just to add it as a Pun Factor--"does the pun tell a truth?" And I had just blogged one in a recent post without realizing it--when I shared that I was concerned how I, as a city slicker, would look wearing boots, and I said, "I don't think I could pull off boots." As a matter of fact, I do have have trouble pulling off anything tight from my feet, probably because I have high arches and fairly wide feet.

On to the Truth Telling Puns, which have a "does the pun tell a truth?" answer of YES:

I was discussing the long-running BBC television show Dr. Who with a work colleague.
March 14, 2012 I mentioned that I never can remember which actor is from which era of the show, which has been on since 1963: "I have trouble telling who's who."


This second one, as many, was a thought, in the privacy of my own car. I don't know about you, but one of my pet peeves as a daily commuter is to have people pass me only to have me catch up them at the light. How ridiculous is this? They have created an interaction that doesn't need to happen--if they are a daily commuter, which is most likely the case, they should know the light timing as well as I do. So they know the light isn't going to change just because they are driving faster. But they choose to add to the danger of the world--in this case, me and them--so they can get to the red light in the car ahead of me, sometimes just to block me from making my right on red. Take a word from your intrepid blogger--don't do this. Anyway, as somebody was doing this, the pun happened.


March 15, 2012 I said to myself as the guy slipped into my lane ahead of me: "These people pass me like this all the time. It's like a rite of passage."


Please share your Puns as Truth, or any other Unintended Puns. I know they make my day more enjoyable, and your puns will let all of us more in on the brain's intricate workings.

No comments:

Post a Comment