The unintended pun in everyday life.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Some Fun Puns

More about my job. I was researching a problem we are having at work. We are loading the operating system Linux on to a computer that doesn't have a monitor, which requires us to use a terminal emulation program.
October 17, 2011
During my research, I ran across the following description of a problem. Note: the term "X" is short-hand for a software program called "X-Windows," which is used to display data from one computer to a different computer: "I was just reminded that the changes I mentioned in the last comment are probably related to a different issue that appeared later in the install, after X actually started. We are seeing the video corruption at the very beginning of the install so X isn't even in the picture yet."

October 2, 2011
During his sermon, our pastor was describing that the Bible has some very strong proof for many of its claims, including even historic and archaelogical evidence: "When you start digging into the archaeology..."


October 3, 2011
I requested that my financial advisor purchase shares in the company Transocean on April 20, 2010. As it happens, that is the very day that the oil rig Deepwater Horizon, which was owned and operated by Transocean, exploded off the coast of Louisiana. Transocean owns and operates such rigs all over the world. The stock price, needless to say, has not done well since that day, though we have continued to hold on to the shares because it is a well-run company that generates a large amount of revenue. My wife Christine was pondering its low price recently: "Wow, that price has really tanked."


I really love the "X" pun--it is literally true that "X isn't even in the picture yet." The other two are just fun ones to start your week.

No comments:

Post a Comment