The unintended pun in everyday life.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

I Don't Need to Rely on My Collection...

I'm discovering that I don't need to rely on my collection of Unintended Puns, most of which are on 3 x 5 index cards, to be able keep this blog filled with puns. Between Claire and me, it seems that the two of us can keep this blog populated with new ones forever, just based on our own experiences. She posted one in the Comments section after the last post, called me with another one yesterday, and I have two new ones today--one that I heard in a conversation, and one I received in an e-mail. We would love it if you would give us yours, to spice up the blog a little, and give us some variety.

As Claire mentioned in her other comment to my last post, our verbal fluency probably contributes to our noticing puns, and therefore our perception that Unintended Puns are rampant. But the objective reality of them is not diminished just because somebody doesn't notice them--if a tree falls, and there are no ears to hear, there are still sound waves generated. So the brain is doing the same, amazing, behind-the-scenes work, even if nobody notices.

On to the puns:

Here is a multi-lingual pun, based on the German word "spiel" meaning "game":
March 1, 2011
While describing that a fellow student may or may not want to engage in a complicated, time consuming task, Claire finished an e-mail with: “If you're still game after that spiel, e-mail me back.”
The next one was spoken by a pastor friend of mine. He is doing some great work in South Phoenix, showing the love of Jesus to people in great need.
March 3, 2011
Pastor Dave was telling me about his daughter, who is finishing her training to become a fully certified air traffic controller; about his dad, who was a pilot in the military; and despite all that, he himself never became a pilot. “...it was never on my radar screen.”
The last one for today could be on purpose, but it seems very unlikely. It's from a review of a book about the economic crisis in Iceland. Click here for the article.
March 3, 2011
Deep Freeze: Iceland's Economic Collapse by Philipp Bagus and David Howden: “Iceland in 2008 experienced an unprecedented economic meltdown...”

No comments:

Post a Comment