The unintended pun in everyday life.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Daily Pun #2

This was sent by a friend of mine--the same friend who told me the "No pun in ten did" joke when we were in Scotland together. He heard it on ESPN the other day.

        "We do not yet know the impact of all of the hard hits in the NFL."

Is this Unintended or not? You decide.

If it is Unintended, here are my assessments for the factors (see January for the blog on my suggested "Pun Factors"):
  1. Fitting: It is exactly fitting--hard hits leave impacts on human bodies.
  2. Humor: It's pretty funny to me, mostly due to being fitting. I realize it's a little morbid, but it gets extra points for being on national TV.
  3. Subtlety: It's not very subtle--I think most people would see it as a pun--but I get puns often before the person says them, due to my warped mind.
  4. Context: The sentence stands alone as a pun.
  5. Depth: I think it is two deep, because it is absolutely true that we do not know the impact, both metaphorically (as in the full scope of potential rules and equipment changes, how coaches might change how they teach tackling all the way down to the smallest players, etc.) and literally (as in the impact on the players who have been hit--what damage it has done to them).

1 comment:

  1. It seemed as though neither of the hosts recognized the pun. I found that even more humorous.

    ReplyDelete