The unintended pun in everyday life.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Puns to Spice Up Your Midweek

A few Unintended Puns from 1992 to spice up your midweek cider.
June 28, 1992
While praying for a friend, who worked as an usher at Baltimore Orioles baseball games, I said: “...that his knees would stand up to the work.”

about April, 1992
I don't have the exact context, but this one is a stand-alone pun: “Spending four dollars a day shouldn't eat up so much of my money.”

July 11, 1992
After a story about several killings at post offices, and how it seemed that supervisors were driving postal workers to anger, Barbara Walters, the famous broadcast journalist, said: “We'll keep you po...informed on any changes at the post office.”
Seems to me that Ms. Walters caught herself as she was about to say: “We'll keep you posted on any changes at the post office”, but realized she didn't want us to think she was making a joke about such a horrible situation. Even people who make a living from crafting words can't stop their brains from making these unintended word associations.
Next time, I'll discuss another side of the Unintended Pun Theory, which hit me so hard while I was driving I almost had an accident.

2 comments:

  1. My new pun:

    We were talking about the theater kids' IM basketball team, which was playing a game that night. Someone asked if they would have matching underwear. The representative team member said, "I don't think that matters, if it's not showing."

    I said: "Depends."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Claire. I guess that brings up the whole category of "diaper" puns--I don't think I've posted the one about how we thought a baby sitter was having a pretty easy time of it.

    Your Mom said: "She's being pampered."

    ReplyDelete